Saturday, March 23, 2013

Little Manhattan ...


"I came over to my friends the other day, and they were watching Little Manhattan, one of my favorite movies. The movie is about two eleven-year-olds from new York. They fall in love one summer, but Rosemary has to go to summer camp, and then private school ... The back story of the movie is Gabe's parents that are going through a divorce for over a year, but they are still living together (reminds me of a lot of families in Ukraine), and Gabe's mother starts to date again.

At some point, Gabe says something that he doesn't really mean to Resemary, and ends up miserable because of it. To avoid the pain, he convinces himself that he doesn't care about her anymore. Later, he is talking to his father about love: 


Gabe: Dad, what's the deal with girls? I mean, why are they the way they are?

Dad: You're talking to the wrong man.

Gabe: Well, how come all love has to end?

Dad: Let me tell you something about me and your mom. Once upon a time, we really loved each other, but as time went by, there just got to be all these things, little things, stupid things, that were left unsaid. And all these things that were left unsaid piled up, like the clutter in our storage room. And after awhile, there was so much that was left unsaid, that we barely said anything at all.

Gabe: Well, why didn't you just say them then, dad?

Dad: I don't know, Gabe. I kind of wish I had.

After this conversation Gabe had a revelation that he didn't just liked Rosemary, he loved her. And he wanted to tell her that he did not mean whatever he said before. So, the little guy risks everything to tell her that he loves her, but that shocks her. I mean she is only eleven after all.

Gabe: You think you might wanna love me, too?
Rosemary: I don't know what I think, Gabe, I'm only 11. I don't think I'm ready to be in love…but I'm really happy you came.

That, “but I’m really happy you came,” made putting his heart out there worth it. And even though they had to go their separate ways, something good came out of his experience. When Gabe came home his parents were laughing and talking together. When his mother left, his dad told him "I just cleared some old stuff our of the storage room" 

"Love is an ugly, terrible business, practiced by fools. It'll trample your heart and leave you bleeding on the floor. And what does it really get you in the end? Nothing…but a few incredible memories that you can't ever shake"

I love this movie, it always makes me think about my love life and all the experiences I have had. I like what Gabe says to his Dad when he said that about "all the stupid things that were left unsaid"; he says: "Why don't you just go and say them then, dad?". Adults complicate things SO much. I do it A LOT. But things are so much easier in real life. It all comes down to two people either loving each other or not, and either willing to communicate, compromise, work on things, or not ...

I also thought it was funny when Gabe told Rosemary all the mean things he did not mean, just to protect himself. It was funny to me because adults do that too. 

I have been in Gabe's shoes when you put your heart out, but there is no response ... or the other person is trying to decide what's best for you ... it sucks ...  should it not be much simpler than that? We should not need games, strategies, etc. in romantic relationships. Am I not right? Perhaps, I am not ... I did not grow up in America. I was a child of teen parents, and to be honest a lot of times I feel peculiar. I mean I do have a big heart, I'd do anything for people I love and care for. 

Anyway, that movie always makes me sad and then makes me smile and provokes a lot of thinking. Talk to your loved ones, don't pile up things, don't complicate anything. Go do it now, it is NEVER late! 

Much love, 

Kristina 





No comments:

Post a Comment